In this expansive article, we cover 20 quickfire benefits an advantages of commercial CCTV camera systems. When it comes to the security of your business and employee safety, CCTV and security camera systems are a must.
Not only do these security systems protect property and deter crime, they help keep people safe and provide a huge range of security benefits to many businesses.
If your business doesn’t currently have a CCTV system in place, we recommend you start your search now.
If so, you can find out more about our CCTV services here
Table of contents
- 1. CCTV & Security Cameras Help Improve Overall Safety
- 2. Commercial CCTV Systems Help Prevent Employee Theft
- 3. Retail CCTV Cameras Help Prevent Shoplifting
- 4. Using CCTV Footage as Evidence in Criminal Enquiries
- 5. Using Surveillance Cameras to Improve Safeguarding
- 6. Improved Business Perception
- 7. External Security for Customers and Employees (Staff Car Parks)
- 8. Well Placed Commercial CCTV Cameras Can Deter Vandalism
- 9. Improve Employee Productivity with internal surveillance cameras
- 10. Protect Against Anti-Social Behaviour (Staff Bullying)
- 11. 24/7 Peace of Mind
- 12. Prevention against false legal claims
- 13. IP Network CCTV Is Cost-Effective and Easily Scalable
- 14. CCTV Footage Provides a Record of All Activity In & Around Your Business
- 15. CCTV Monitoring Reduces the Need for Security Guards
- 16. Reduce Security Costs with CCTV Monitoring
- 17. It Simply Makes Good Business Sense
- 18. Get Warned About Known Criminals In Your Store with Facial Recognition CCTV
- 19. Make Staff Feel More Valued
- 20. CCTV Systems Integrate with Other Security Solutions
- Further reading – Security System & CCTV Articles
- Reasons to invest in CCTV – summary
1. CCTV & Security Cameras Help Improve Overall Safety
Security cameras positioned throughout a business help to prevent crimes and break-ins.
Well placed security cameras around the business help to deter criminals and provide the necessary footage to secure a conviction. When coupled with professional CCTV signage, these systems act as a strong deterrent.
When it comes to deterring crime, many businesses are investing in remote CCTV monitoring to help protect their staff and premises.
CCTV monitoring allows you to have your security cameras monitored 24/7 by a team of security professionals. The systems are set to alert your designated security professional of a potential threat. They, in turn, perform the role of a security guard by alerting the intruder (via audio intervention) and by contacting the keyholder / authorities).
2. Commercial CCTV Systems Help Prevent Employee Theft
Business CCTV systems can help to deter theft.
Unfortunately, there are often incidents of employee theft; cash goes missing and valuable items are stolen.
Well placed security cameras, providing full coverage, will make a potential thief think twice.
3. Retail CCTV Cameras Help Prevent Shoplifting
Regardless of size, shops and retail outlets are the targets of shoplifters.
An effective monitored CCTV system will help to deter shoplifters is they think there’s a chance they will be caught.
Well placed security cameras will also help to spot known offenders, so action can be taken to prevent them from entering the store. This can either be done manually or via video analytics.
Here at Safeguard Systems, we’ve designed and installed a range of retails security systems over the years. Click the following link if you are interested to learn more about our shop and retail security systems.
4. Using CCTV Footage as Evidence in Criminal Enquiries
Although CCTV is a strong crime deterrent, there are always occasions where crimes are still committed.
If you haven’t been able to deter a criminal, you may be able to use the footage to arrest and prosecute them.
Businesses can do this in one or two ways:
- Onsite – via their own security team
- Remotely – using a remote CCTV monitoring solution
When looking to use CCTV footage as evidence, image quality is paramount.
Over the years, we’ve upgraded many security camera systems where the cheap, DIY cameras are providing poor, unreliable footage.
5. Using Surveillance Cameras to Improve Safeguarding
Smaller businesses usually have smaller budgets and therefore less safeguards against security threats.
CCTV isn’t an expensive investment and can provide a suitable solution to a range of threats.
Therefore, an investment in a robust security camera system will improve the safeguards it has in place.
6. Improved Business Perception
The presence of a quality, robust security system, particularly CCTV, shows your employees and customers you take security seriously and care about their safety.
Whether you are an office-based business or a shop, this undoubtedly can help improve the perception of your business.
7. External Security for Customers and Employees (Staff Car Parks)
During the winter, it’s often dark around 4pm. In fact, many of us in the UK got to work and come home in the dark.
This can present security and safety concerns for employees.
A business can provide a solution to these problems, by installing a quality CCTV system which monitors the carp parks around and entrances to the premises.
For businesses looking for superior CCTV footage at night time, here are a couple of links to one of our go-to suppliers, Hikvision:
8. Well Placed Commercial CCTV Cameras Can Deter Vandalism
Similar to deterring theft and shoplifters, CCTV surveillance systems can reduce the risk of vandalism.
Vandals are often looking for an easy target.
However, if they stumble across a business well covered by security cameras, they may think twice!
Here is a blog we wrote a while ago about a local business that was the victim of crime. As you’ve guessed, the CCTV system in place wasn’t fit for purpose.
9. Improve Employee Productivity with internal surveillance cameras
CCTV provides another means to monitor your staff for time, attendance and productivity.
Your cameras can be set up to monitor your staff to make sure they are at their desks and working productively.
Security cameras can also be used to monitor those who take unauthorised breaks.
10. Protect Against Anti-Social Behaviour (Staff Bullying)
Disputes and disagreements happen at work all the time.
However, there are often times when workplace bullying occurs and needs addressing.
It can be difficult to take one person’s word over another. To tackle this issue, well placed CCTV cameras will help to monitor behaviour and catch bullies in the act.
11. 24/7 Peace of Mind
Just by knowing your CCTV system is recording and providing full coverage around your premises, should give you peace of mind.
You will have the peace of mind knowing your cameras are doubling up as a means to deter and catch criminals.
With remote CCTV monitoring, you can have your security cameras monitored 24/7 by a team of security professionals.
12. Prevention against false legal claims
By installing CCTV in your business, you are also protecting yourself against unsubstantiated claims for personal injury or loss of property.
Internal CCTV cameras can help settle any bogus claims before they get to court.
13. IP Network CCTV Is Cost-Effective and Easily Scalable
Business CCTV systems are highly cost-effective. Why?
In this blog alone, we cover 24 reasons businesses should invest.
There are so many uses CCTV within a business and a multitude of reasons to invest.
Furthermore, CCTV systems can be easily scaled. Adding more cameras to expand the coverage in and around your site is easy to do, particularly with IP CCTV.
If you like to read further about the advantages of business CCTV, have a read of our blog – The Benefits of Business CCTV Systems.
14. CCTV Footage Provides a Record of All Activity In & Around Your Business
Through 360 coverage in and around your business, CCTV makes sure nothing is missed.
Whether it’s vandals looking to cause damage to a property, antisocial behaivour in the car park, or unauthorised vehicles looking to gain access to the site, CCTV helps protect you from these threats.
15. CCTV Monitoring Reduces the Need for Security Guards
As discussed earlier in this article, remote CCTV monitoring can help remove some of the ‘human error’ from your security function.
For many businesses, there are times when your cameras aren’t being monitored.
Human beings can get distracted and miss things.
Remote CCTV monitoring can help address these risks.
If you’re keen to learn more about monitored CCTV, have a read through our article CCTV Monitoring FAQs.
16. Reduce Security Costs with CCTV Monitoring
When considering the ongoing, week-in-week-out cost of security guards, CCTV monitoring can save a business money in the short to medium term.
CCTV monitoring helps reduce the requirement for 24/7 onsite security, therefore reducing costs and without impacting safety and security.
If this sounds of interest, why not read through our article on the benefits and advantages of CCTV monitoring?
17. It Simply Makes Good Business Sense
It’s quite simple.
If you want to deter criminals – invest in CCTV.
If you want to catch criminals – invest in CCTV.
To have a well-protected, secure workforce – invest in CCTV.
We could go on…
18. Get Warned About Known Criminals In Your Store with Facial Recognition CCTV
The rise of facial recognition software, allows you to be notified if a known shoplifter comes into your store.
When this situation occurs, your security team can take the most appropriate action.
19. Make Staff Feel More Valued
Security isn’t simply about protecting your business assets.
If you take a proactive approach to security, you will make your staff feel valued and protected.
Employees who feel safe in the staff car park won’t mind putting in an extra hour in spring, autumn or winter.
Those working in hazardous areas will have the peace of mind knowing they are being watched over for potential security threats.
20. CCTV Systems Integrate with Other Security Solutions
You can integrate your CCTV system with other forms of security.
For example, if an alarm is triggered, your security cameras can pan, tilt and zoom in on the right zone.
This helps to provide a higher deterrent to would-be criminals and can help to catch more in the act.
Further reading – Security System & CCTV Articles
If you’re in the process of researching the various security systems available for your business, here are some additional article we recommend reading:
Reasons to invest in CCTV – summary
Hopefully, by now, you should have a good understanding of the reasons to invest in CCTV for your business.